Breaking News Today

U.S. officials believe Iran-backed group responsible for latest rocket attack in Iraq

Published: (Updated: ) in USA news by .

The militia group has been blamed for previous attacks on American bases.


U.S. and Iraqi officials believe that an Iran-backed group with a history of targeting Americans in Iraq was responsible for Wednesday's attack on an Iraqi air base that hosts U.S. troops.

While the investigation into the attack on Ain al-Asad air base in the western province of Anbar is still ongoing, officials believe that Kataib Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed paramilitary force, or an affiliated group was responsible, according to two defense officials familiar with early intelligence.

The two defense officials requested anonymity to discuss intelligence. A spokesperson for U.S. Central Command, which oversees military operations in the Middle East, declined to offer immediate comment.

One U.S. contractor suffered a fatal cardiac episode while sheltering during the attack, which was the latest in a series of tit-for-tat attacks that have raised concerns about escalating tensions in the region. No U.S. service members have been reported injured.

The Biden administration has yet to publicly blame Tehran for the latest attack, which came just days after U.S. fighter jets bombed military positions used by Kataib Hezbollah and other Iran-backed groups in eastern Syria late last week.

"We cannot attribute responsibility at this time, and we do not have a complete picture of the extent of the damage," Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said in a Wednesday statement.

Biden ordered last week's strike in Syria, which destroyed the intended targets and killed at least one militant, after officials determined that Iran facilitated three separate attacks in Iraq that put Americans in danger.

Iraqi security forces were on the scene "nearly immediately" after Wednesday's attack, Kirby said. Iraqi news media reported that investigators had found a rocket launcher hidden inside a civilian truck that they believe was used in the attack.

READ:  U.S. succeeds in efforts to delay pandemic treaty

The circumstances of the latest strike on al-Asad are similar to past attacks linked to Kataib Hezbollah, the defense officials said. While a myriad of Shia-based militia groups in Iraq often take direction from Tehran, they are not always under direct Iranian control.

Kataib Hezbollah is also believed to have carried out an attack in December 2019 on the K-1 air base in Iraq that killed an American contractor and wounded Iraqi and U.S. troops, setting off a volley of attacks that culminated in then-President Donald Trump ordering the killing of Iranian Maj. Gen Qasem Soleimani. Kataib Hezbollah commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis was also killed in that strike.

In response to the Soleimani strike, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps launched a barrage of missiles at al-Asad on Jan. 8, 2020. More than 100 U.S. troops suffered traumatic brain injuries during the incident.

Kirby urged caution following this latest attack, but said the U.S. would respond if necessary.

"Let's let our Iraqi partners investigate," he said. "If a response is warranted, I think we have shown clearly that we won't shy away from that."

Source: Politics, Policy, Political News Top Stories https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/04/iran-group-responsible-iraq-attack-473618

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021