The 62-year-old was arrested at 7am today at Malabar and is being held at Maroubra Police Station, NSW Police confirmed.
EDITORIAL: This week Cory Bernardi resigned from politics. It’s a well-deserved break, after a stunning 13-year career, but we urge him to reconsider his decision. The fact is, with Mr Bernardi gone, there is no-one to ensure we don’t all have sex with donkeys. Since Mr Bernardi joined parliament in 2006, the incidence of bestiality […]
With family like this, who needs enemies?Meghan Markle’s half-sister again shredded the Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry for stepping back from royal family duties, punctuating her remarks this time with awkward comments about race.Some of Sama…
Prince William and Kate Middleton had a glamorous night out on Monday, hosting a reception for the UK- Africa Investment Summit at Buckingham Palace. The Duke of Cambridge wore a navy suit with a red tie for the formal occaision. The Duchess of Ca…
Paging Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and queen of the unbothered.
Two weeks after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced that they were stepping back as senior members of the royal family, Camilla spoke out for the first time about the couple’s exit and move to Canada.
The duchess was visiting Prospect Hospice in Swindon, England, on Monday when a reporter asked her, “Will you miss Harry and Meghan?”
“Hmmm,” Camilla said with a smile, waiting a beat before adding the rest of her response.
“Course,” she added as she exited through the doors, in video shared by ITV reporter Chris Ship.
Watch Camilla’s face closely as she answers the question: “Will you miss Harry & Meghan?”
The Duchess of Cornwall smiles, pauses, then says “Hmmm. Course!” 😳😳pic.twitter.com/CbPbb92bAL
— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) January 20, 2020
Earlier this month, Harry and Meghan announced their intention to step back from royal family duties, split their time between homes in the U.K. and Canada, and stop taking public funding from the Sovereign Grant.
After talks with Queen Elizabeth and Princes Charles and William at Sandringham Estate, Harry came to a final agreement with his family.
The queen issued a personal statement on Jan. 13 saying that she is “entirely supportive” of the young couple and their desire for a “new life.” In another statement issued over the weekend, she added that she is “particularly proud” of Meghan.
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,” the queen said Saturday. “I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.”
“I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family,” Her Majesty said, praising the former actor for her assimilation into royal life.
Harry flew to Canada on Monday to rejoin Meghan and little Archie.
Photos of Meghan and Archie on a stroll through a Vancouver park with their two dogs (and a security detail) are already sparking reported legal threats. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s lawyers are warning off the paparazzi, according to a report from Sky News, for photographing Meghan without her consent. HuffPost reached out for further comment.
Subscribe to HuffPost’s Watching the Royals newsletter for all things Windsor (and beyond).
When the San Francisco 49ers take the field against the Kansas City Chiefs at Super Bowl LIV, it will be a historical moment for offensive assistant coach Katie Sowers.The 49ers’ victory over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday means Sowers, who has …
Australia will begin screening passengers arriving from a Chinese city in a bid to stop the spread of a new mystery virus, the country’s chief medical officer said on Tuesday, although authorities warned that an outbreak would be hard to prevent.
Chinese authorities have confirmed more than 200 people have caught the coronavirus, which can cause a type of pneumonia that has killed at least six people.
The virus – which can pass from person to person – broke out in Wuhan but four cases have been reported in Thailand, Japan and South Korea, raising concerns about its spread through international air travel.
The first US case of a new coronavirus strain has been reported in Washington state, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday.
The deadly virus, which Chinese health officials have said can spread by human-to-human contact, has sickened hundreds of people, according to the mayor of China’s central city of Wuhan, where an outbreak is underway.
The male US patient is a resident of Snohomish County, Washington. He was hospitalised last week in Everett with pneumonia after returning from a trip to Wuhan, health officials said at a news conference.
“We believe the risk to the public is low,” Washington state Secretary of Health John Wiesman said. Wiesman credited the patient’s decision to seek immediate medical help for helping prevent the virus from spreading.
Brendan Murphy, the chief medical officer for the Australian government, said biosecurity officials would begin screening passengers arriving on the three weekly flights to Sydney from Wuhan starting on Thursday.
Passengers would be given an information pamphlet and asked to present themselves if they had a fever or suspected they might have the disease.
Murphy said the measures only offered limited protection.
“You cannot absolutely prevent the spread of disease into the country. The incubation period is probably a week,” Murphy told reporters in Canberra.
“It’s about identifying those with a high risk and making sure those who have a high risk know about it and know how to get medical attention.”
China is the largest source of tourists to Australia, with more than 1 million people arriving last year.
Around 160 flights arrive in Australia from China each week, and Murphy acknowledged Chinese tourists could arrive via other locations. There are only three flights from Wuhan each week, arriving in Sydney.
Australia’s additional screenings come as hundreds of millions of Chinese prepare to travel domestically and abroad during the Lunar New Year holiday that starts this week.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison urged Australians to remain calm.
“We are well prepared to respond to this situation and we will continue to monitor and take action where necessary,” Morrison tweeted.
This afternoon I was briefed by the Chief Medical Officer Prof Brendan Murphy on the coronavirus detected in China’s Wuhan area. The CMO has advised that while the current risk level is low, precautions are being taken to protect Australians.
— Scott Morrison (@ScottMorrisonMP) January 21, 2020
We will be raising the level of our travel advice for Wuhan City to level 2 – exercise a high degree of caution. I urge all Australians travelling to check the DFAT Smartraveller website for specific updates.
— Scott Morrison (@ScottMorrisonMP) January 21, 2020
Prof Murphy, with his state medical colleagues, has initiated measures to mitigate infectious persons entering Australia. We are well prepared to respond to this situation and we will continue to monitor and take action where necessary.
— Scott Morrison (@ScottMorrisonMP) January 21, 2020
The government would raise its travel advisory for Wuhan to urge Australians to reconsider travelling to the city, he added.
Despite the elevated risk, Murphy said Australia would not begin scanning passengers for higher body temperatures, a precaution previously used during the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) outbreak.
SARS killed nearly 800 people globally during the 2002/03 outbreak that also started in China, but Murphy said recent evidence indicated body-temperature screening was ineffective and created a false sense of security.
Reporting by Colin Packham.
Nina Golgowski contributed to this report.
— Thomas Park (@thomazpark) January 21, 2020
During the latest instalment of the ITV breakfast show, Piers and Susanna discussed Peter Phillips – the eldest grandchild of the Queen and Prince Philip – who recently appeared in a Chinese advert for milk.
After the ad was played on the show, Susanna was left exasperated when Piers began making noises, in what was apparently an imitation of the Chinese brand’s name
“I don’t know the Chinese for ‘I only drink…’, what’s it called?” he protested.
Piers then requested the ad be played again, after which he declared: “Ching chang cho jo”, again trying to repeat what was said in the advert.
His co-host then told him: “You can’t say [that]… taking the mickey out of foreign languages is rather 1970s.”
Growing louder, Piers hit back: “Surely you can take the mickey out of it! He’s using ‘ching chang chong’ milk from the Chinese state – that’s what they said in the advert!
“I can’t repeat what they’re saying in the advert… I’m trying to mimic the wording of that advertisement.
“By the way, it’s not me flogging the Chinese state milk. Are people going to be more annoyed about me trying to mimic the Chinese State milk ad than they are about a member of the Royal family trying to flog Chinese State milk””
“Yes, Piers, do you not realise the kind of woke times we’re living in?” Susanna responded.
“Oh god…” Piers then offered, after which the topic of conversation was changed.
After seeing Piers’ impression of the Chinese ad, many viewers took issue with it on social media, accusing the host of racism…
— Maître McG (@dugaldmcgarry) January 21, 2020
— Ryan Adolpho🐝 (@ryan180680) January 21, 2020
@GMB why are you allowing @piersmorgan to be racist and mock the Chinese language. A disgrace!!! @Ofcom need to investigate this and heavily fine both him, the show and the network for condoning this crass, racist and inflammatory action by their ‘presenter’ #removepiers
— Ross Suttie🏴🏳️🌈 (@rsuttie) January 21, 2020
— Ben Marshall (@benmarshall1993) January 21, 2020
— M@BOTCOM (@_MATTdotCOM_) January 21, 2020
Great example to set to your sons, and the rest of Britain – “this OK to do guys, this is how chinese people talk”. No, no we don’t thank you very much
— VS (@ryonakata) January 21, 2020
So Piers Morgan who spent the whole show yesterday defending that he’s not a racist follows on the next morning mimicking a Chinese accent 🤔
But I’m sure the @itvstudios will turn a blind eye since it’s “entertaining” 💁🏻♀️
— Lisa Mckenna (@LisaM_x) January 21, 2020
Just turnt on the TV for the news, no.. its @piersmorgan mocking the Chinese language on live TV. Are you ok with this @ITV@GMB !?? Seriously this man needs stopping. he’s poisoning large sections of the country every morning.
— Hankins (@HeinzJunkins) January 21, 2020
Piers Morgan doing a racist Chinese voice on GMB shows that it’s still somehow acceptable to be anti-Chinese in this country. Yet nothing is ever said or done about it.
— Joe (@jbakerroberts) January 21, 2020
— AdamD 🦛 (@MongrelAdam) January 21, 2020
@piersmorgan What you did @GMB is racist and derogatory, and exactly the same #racialabuse I and some British Chinese people have received ‘mocking’ us and our heritage. Please apologise. To not do so would endorse similar racist behaviour #SayNoToRacismhttps://t.co/BpR38bgEc6
— Cllr. Alex Yip (@alexyip258) January 21, 2020
— Sarah🦄 (@BeesBabe1975) January 21, 2020
How does he still have that Job!? https://t.co/lZOTu4kC7p
— R Victor Williams (@RVictorWilliams) January 21, 2020
One such critic was footballer John Barnes, to whom Piers sent a number of tweets, insisting he was not mocking Chinese people, but mocking “a member of the British royal family appearing in an advert for Chinese state milk”.
Just saw @piersmorgan on GMB mocking Chinese people on the way they speak, what are the odds he faces no criticism for it… there’s an example for Laurence Fox of white privilege
— John Barnes (@officialbarnesy) January 21, 2020
I was mocking a member of the British royal family appearing in an advert for Chinese state milk, not Chinese people. https://t.co/IO5TEXUYmf
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) January 21, 2020
Speaking as an Irishman (who wasn’t offended), were you as upset when Ian Wright mimicked Roy Keane’s Irish accent?
If not, and I can’t find any tweets from you about it, then pipe down with your hypocritical virtue-signalling. https://t.co/0bozMmwFed
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) January 21, 2020
HuffPost UK has contacted representatives for Good Morning Britain for comment.
Last week, Piers was put in his place by Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu, after he hit back at the suggestion the media’s treatment of Meghan Markle has been rooted in racism.
After she accused him of having a “vendetta” against the Duchess Of Sussex, Dr Shola said: “What’s so offensive about this Piers, especially with you. You are a man, privileged to have power and influence and you are using your platform so irresponsibly to spout out this personal vendetta with nasty and vile comments knowing fully well that your words are containing bigotry, misogyny, sexism and racism.”
Good Morning Britain airs every weekday from 6am on ITV.
Ozzy Osbourne has opened up about his battle with Parkinson’s disease, telling “Good Morning America” that he felt it was time to talk about it because he misses performing and wants his fans to know he misses them.
“I’m no good with secrets,” Osbourne told Robin Roberts in an interview that aired Tuesday. “I cannot walk around with it anymore, ’cause it’s like I’m running out of excuses, you know?”
In a conversation with Roberts and his wife, Sharon Osbourne, the rocker sometimes known as the Prince of Darkness talked about a fall he had last year and his subsequent diagnosis of Parkinson’s, a neurodegenerative disorder with no known cure.
“I did my last show New Year’s Eve at the Forum [in Los Angeles]. Then I had a bad fall,” he told Roberts. “I had to have surgery on my neck, which screwed all my nerves.”
Sharon said her husband has PRKN 2, adding: “There’s so many different types of Parkinson’s. It’s not a death sentence by any stretch of the imagination, but it does affect certain nerves in your body. And it’s… it’s like you have a good day, a good day, and then a really bad day.”
.@ABC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: Rock legend @OzzyOsbourne sits down with @RobinRoberts and breaks his silence about his private health battle with Parkinson’s disease. https://t.co/tYd0K3rQetpic.twitter.com/ANaS82xakY
— Good Morning America (@GMA) January 21, 2020
Ozzy has since postponed a world tour and remains at home, grappling with issues like numbness and nerve pain.
“I got a numbness down this arm from the surgery,” he told Roberts. “My legs keep going cold. I don’t know if that’s the Parkinson’s or what… That’s the problem. Because they cut nerves when they did the surgery. I’d never heard of nerve pain, and it’s a weird feeling.”
The family plans to go to a professional in Switzerland in an effort to help Ozzy get his “immune system at its peak,” Sharon said.
Ozzy said he misses his fans “so much” and that he hopes they “hang in there for me, because I need them.”
“They’re my air, you know,” he said. “I want to see my people.” He added that he can’t wait to get well so he can get back on the road.
“I need it. It’s my drug today. I’ve done all the other crap. Left that by the wayside, survived all that,” he said, alluding to his previous issues with drugs and alcohol. “I ain’t going to go anywhere yet.”
Taylor Swift is opening up with a heartbreaking update on her mother’s cancer battle. The “Lover” singer revealed that her mum, Andrea Swift, has been diagnosed with a brain tumour amid ongoing treatment for an undisclosed form o…
It comes as a Brisbane man thought to have contracted the potentially deadly coronavirus has been released from isolation, with doctors confirming he is no longer displaying any symptoms.
The Prime Minister has referred cabinet minister Bridget McKenzie’s decision to award a $36,000 grant to a shooting club she was a member of to the head of his department.