Breaking News Today

Driver who fled Australia after fatal hit-run has extradition hearing delayed again

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Puneet Puneet fled to India while on bail before he could be sentenced for the 2008 death of Queensland student Dean Hofstee in Melbourne.

Three police cars destroyed in brazen arson attack

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Three police cars have been destroyed in a brazen attack after a mystery man poured petrol on them and set them alight.

Young woman with severe Tourette’s becomes disability ambassador

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

A young Queensland woman with one of the world’s most severe cases of Tourette’s syndrome is using her life experience to help others.

Body temperatures delivered with takeaway meals

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Some restaurants in China are divulging the body temperatures of its kitchen staff to customers as the nation battles to contain the spread of coronavirus.

Undies thief stole from women, teen girls in Sydney hotels

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

A Sydney hotel worker who hoarded more than 1000 pairs of female underwear is due to be sentenced after pleading guilty to all charges.

SA police to be given powers to detain people at risk of spreading coronavirus

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Patients at risk of spreading coronavirus could be ordered to remain at a hospital or quarantine facility, under new laws being introduced in South Australia.

Son who fatally stabbed Adelaide Crows coach wants more leave

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

The son of slain Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh has asked for more leave from a secure psychiatric facility in light of his “impeccable” behaviour.

First Coronavirus Case in Tas – AMA says ‘Not Unexpected’

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Statement from AMA Tasmania President Prof. John Burgess in relation to coronavirus in Tasmania, Monday 2 March 2020 “The spread of coronavirus is an unfolding situation around the world. It is not unexpected that coronavirus would reach Tasmania at some point. Importantly, Tasmania is well prepared, and the man with the virus self-isolated and sought […]

The post First Coronavirus Case in Tas – AMA says ‘Not Unexpected’ appeared first on Tasmanian Times.

Dad’s heartbreak over family trapped in Syrian detention camp

Published: (Updated: ) in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Kamalle Daboussy says he has been living a nightmare as the government prevents the return of his family from Syria.

Kangaroo rescued from abandoned mine shaft in Victoria

Published: in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

A man has risked his life to save a kangaroo carrying a baby joey that fell down a deep mine shaft Victoria. 

Coronavirus: Australia’s First Human-To-Human Transmission Case Confirmed

Published: (Updated: ) in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

SYDNEY – Australia’s chief medical officer said on Monday it was no longer possible to completely prevent people with the coronavirus from entering the country, citing concerns about outbreaks in Japan and South Korea.

It comes as health officials said on Monday that a woman and a male doctor have contracted coronavirus – becoming the first cases of community transmissions in the country.

New South Wales state Minister for Health Brad Hazzard said a 31-year old doctor has tested positive for coronavirus, though it is not clear whom he contracted the virus from.

The state government said a 41-year woman was tested after her brother returned to Australia from Iran.

Related…

While Australia has moved to stop the spread of the virus by restricting entry to the country for some nationalities, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said last week a global pandemic was likely.

Australia, one of the first countries to put restrictions on its borders in a bid to limit the spread of the virus, confirmed its first death from the disease on Sunday.

People in Sydney's CBD are seen wearing masks on January 31, 2020 in Sydney, Australia. 

“It is no longer possible to absolutely prevent new cases coming in,” Brendan Murphy, Australia’s Chief Medical Officer, told reporters in Canberra.

“We have got concerns about Japan and South Korea. They are working hard to control their outbreaks but we are still concerned that people in those countries and other high risk countries may present with an infection.”

The chief medical officer’s comments came as Australian officials confirmed the country’s 30th case of coronavirus, a 40-year old man who arrived in Australia’s second most populated city, Melbourne from Iran. He later travelled to Tasmania.

Meanwhile, Australia named the 78-year old man who became the country’s first person to die from coronavirus as James Kwan.

He was a passenger on the Diamond Princess ship that was held off Japan’s coast for weeks. Kwan and his wife, who also has the virus, were transferred back to Australia for treatment.

Australia barred entry from February 1 to any foreigners who had travelled through China in the two weeks prior to arriving in Australia. It extended that ban to Iran on Sunday. Both bans are in force until at least March 7. Australian citizens and permanent residents are exempted.

China, the epicentre of the outbreak, retains the bulk of the infections with more than 86,500 cases. However, it has since spread to 53 countries, with more than 6,500 cases and more than 100 deaths.

The majority of the deaths outside of China have come from outbreaks in recent days in South Korea, Italy and Iran.

Murphy said travel bans were “a way of slowing things down” as he urged any Australians returning from Italy or South Korea who work in the healthcare sector to self-quarantine for two weeks.

However, he said the outbreaks in Italy and South Korea, while large, were confined and localised, meaning that further travel bans to Australia were not necessary.

Thousands of Chinese visitors and students have been barred from entering Australia, damaging the country’s important tourism and education sectors at a critical time for the country’s A$2 trillion economy.

Some economists have warned that economic growth could reverse in the current quarter if the epidemic becomes a pandemic, threatening the country’s almost three-decade long period of recession-free expansion.

Reporting by Colin Packham

Helen Mirren On Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Exit: ‘Their Instincts Are Absolutely Correct’

Published: (Updated: ) in 🇦🇺🦘Australian News🇦🇺🦘 by .

Helen Mirren may not be royalty, but she’s played the part enough to know what comes along with the job description.

The actor, who portrayed Queen Elizabeth II in the 2006 film The Queen, recently spoke to Variety about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to step back as working members of the royal family.

Related…

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s exit comes months after the prince slammed the tabloids’ “ruthless campaign” of “relentless propaganda” against Meghan. He has also previously spoken out about the racist and sexist comments written about his wife. 

Taylor Hackford, Dame Helen Mirren and Princes William and Harry at the Audi Polo Challenge in 2014

“I think their instincts are absolutely right, and I applaud them for it,” Helen told Variety. “Hugely, actually. Of course, it is complicated.” 

“Meghan Markle was a fantastic addition to the royal family – charming, did everything right, was gracious, was sweet natured,” Mirren added. “What a lovely addition. Didn’t seem to be neurotic.” 

“So, I think it is a loss in a way, but at the same time I think their instincts are absolutely correct,” the actor said. “And I think it will all, hopefully, sort itself out, and the tabloid pearl-clutchers will get over their trauma at not having someone to attack all the time.

“They’ll find another victim … probably me,” she added, laughing.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

In recent weeks, many celebrities have applauded the couple’s decision to step back, become financially independent, and split their time between the UK and North America. 

Jameela Jamil said she was “so happy” for the couple at the time. Jameela had previously called on the press to just “say you hate her because she’s black” when the Duke and Duchess of Sussex came under fire for taking private planes last year. 

Harry recently arrived back in the UK, where he will soon be joined by Meghan, to carry out the last of the couple’s official royal duties, which end on 31 March.

The duke appeared alongside Jon Bon Jovi on Friday, and the two recorded a special version of the rocker’s song “Unbroken” with the Invictus Games Choir. The charity version of the song will come out in March, with proceeds going to the Invictus Games Foundation.

Finance Advice 2021