Close

Mitch Tambo And NRL’s Indigenous All Stars Support Young Bullying Victim Quaden Bayles

* CONTENT WARNING * 

Nine-year-old Quaden faced bullying everyday at school.

Indigenous Australian community members have thrown their support behind nine-year-old Queensland boy Quaden Bayles after his mother streamed a heartbreaking video of his despair after being bullied over his short stature.  

The NRL’s Indigenous All Stars team has invited Quaden to lead them out this Saturday night at their game against the Maori All Stars on the Gold Coast. First Nations musician Mitch Tambo, who has been following Quaden’s journey over the past few years, will be performing at half-time on Saturday.  

He told HuffPost Australia it was “heart-wrenching” to witness Quaden’s distress in the clip, and that he wants him to know “we all love him and he’s here for a real reason and real purpose”. 

“It’s just so heart-wrenching to see any young person bullied to that extent where they want to inflict self-harm and declare that kind of self-hate,” said Tambo.

First Nations musician Mitch Tambo

“To see the young fella in that state, it’s just very, very sad and obviously to hear and witness the distress of the mother, it’s got that real sense of, ‘I can’t take this anymore, I need help and this is all too much to bear’ which is obviously understandable.”

Quaden was born with achondroplasia, a common form of dwarfism. His mother Yarraka Bayles, an advocate for Indigenous issues and disability awareness, told NITV that she went to pick her son up from Brisbane’s Carina State School on Wednesday and witnessed another student picking on Quaden because of his height.   

After returning to the car, a fed-up Bayles started to film her son’s anguish in hopes of urging parents to take action against the nonstop bullying her son endures.  

Tambo, a proud Gamilaraay and Birri Gubba man, said he was bullied during his own childhood, but could not compare his experiences to Quaden’s. 

“Obviously this kind of bullying, it’s bullying that is well and truly extreme. A young fella so distressed and vocalised such self-hate, it’s just so very distressing to hear. 

“I wouldn’t even try and say that what I’ve experienced is on the same level but I would just want him to know that we haven’t been born to fit a mould. We’ve all been born different and we all have our differences. He just needs to know he’s embraced and that we all love him and he’s here for a real reason and real purpose”. 

The singer also said the issue “deserves the voice and momentum that goes outside of our community”. 

“The support and solidarity, it’s beautiful,” he said. “But I really think that this is something that needs to go out across the nation and everyone needs to rally around and uplift him, and also be more conscious in terms of how we interact with each other and what we deem as funny.

“There’s young people out there that are just going through so much and unfortunately for this fella, what he’s carrying every day is quite visual.” 

On Thursday the NRL announced that Quaden had been invited to Saturday’s Indigenous All Stars game. 

“I’m performing Saturday night half-time and that’s a beautiful gesture and I hope he gets the opportunity to run out and be celebrated,” said Tambo.

“If I met young Quaden, I’d just like to give him a big hug and just let him know what he’s already been told and that is the whole country’s around him and we all love him.” 

Also showing his support for Quaden’s mum, Tambo said he hoped there are some “solid support networks” around the mother and her son. 

“I would also like to give his mum a big hug too, just let her know she’s not on her own and we’re all here for her.” 

The Indigenous #NRLAllStars are behind you Quaden! 👊🏽❤️ pic.twitter.com/52RLy8SrSd

— NRL (@NRL) February 20, 2020

The Indigenous #NRLAllStars have invited 9-year-old Quaden Bayles, a victim of bullying, to lead them out this Saturday night ❤️ pic.twitter.com/UcXhNt3QKF

— NRL (@NRL) February 20, 2020

As of Thursday afternoon, Bayles’ Facebook Live was viewed 4 million times and had received 96,586 shares across the social platform.  

In the clip, she said: “I’ve just picked my son up from school, witnessed a bullying episode, rang the principal, and I want people to know – parents, educators, teachers – this is the effect that bullying has.

“All it takes is for one more instant. You wonder why kids are killing themselves.” 

Bayles explained in the video that the taunting and teasing of her son is constant and he often has thoughts of taking his life. 

She told NITV there has also been criticism of the video, but she was prepared for that.  

“I have copped a lot of backlash for it, I thought twice about deleting it but I wanted people to see the effect bullying is having on my child,” she told the publication. 

“If I don’t stand up and speak out for him, who will?”

Bayles added that disability awareness needs to be raised within schools and the discrimination needs to be addressed in order to save lives. 

“Nobody knows the battles we face in private. I usually share all the positive highlights, but this stuff needs to be addressed to save our babies’ lives.”

NITV reports Quaden has since been removed from the school and will likely be home-schooled.

Bayles told the publication she does not blame any specific child, although she is urging the school to take more action to educate students and parents about the effects of bullying.  

If you or someone you know needs help:

Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800

Lifeline on 13 11 14

Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36

Headspace on 1800 650 890

Outside of Australia, please visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention for a database of resources.

Tas Whisky Giant Cuts Overeem

whisky

Tasmanian whisky brand Overeem has been cut loose by ASX-listed Australian Whisky Holdings (stock code AWY). The company has reached agreement with Sawford Distillery for the sale of the Overeem Single Malt Whisky trademark and limited whisky inventory for $962,000 with settlement on 29 June 2020. AWY Managing Director Geoff Bainbridge said the sale is […]

The post Tas Whisky Giant Cuts Overeem appeared first on Tasmanian Times.

Millie Bobby Brown: The ‘Sexualization’ And ‘Insults’ Hurled At Me Are Painful

Millie Bobby Brown is celebrating her Sweet 16 by getting real about the public scurrility she receives.

The “Stranger Things” star turned 16 on Wednesday and marked the occasion by sharing a video on Instagram that features several harsh (and slightly ridiculous) headlines about her as Justin Bieber‘s “Changes” plays in the background. These headlines are soon followed by red carpet and behind-the-scenes footage of Brown in which she’s often shown laughing and smiling.

In her caption, Brown expressed a desire for a cultural shift toward positivity.

“I feel like change needs to happen for not only this generation but the next,” she wrote. “Our world needs kindness and support in order for us children to grow and succeed.”

 

She then emphasised how difficult it is to grow up in the spotlight when negativity is constantly directed at you.

“The last few years haven’t been easy, I’ll admit that,” she wrote. “There are moments i get frustrated from the inaccuracy, inappropriate comments, sexualization, and unnecessary insults that ultimately have resulted in pain and insecurity for me.”

But just like in her video, the post pivoted to a message of hope while laughing in the face of adversity.

“But not ever will i be defeated,” the actor wrote. “I’ll continue doing what i love and spreading the message [of kindess] in order to make change.”

This isn’t the first time Brown has been outspoken about the impact unsolicited wrath can have on a child.

In January, Brown gave a speech at the United Nations about being bullied at school and, more recently, online.

“Bullying and online threats are never harmless,” Brown said. “Never just words. It puts children’s mental health at risk. It causes stress, and in the most extreme cases … it can lead to self-harm, sickness and even suicide.”

Kid Actor From ‘Parasite’ Totally Loses It Watching His Oscars Win From Home

Jung Hyeon-jun may only be 10 years old, but he is already fulfilling his life’s purpose.

The “Parasite” actor was too young to go to the Oscars earlier this month to witness the film’s historic Best Picture win, but his family captured his reaction as he watched the ceremony at home. Jung played Park Da-song in the South Korean film.

“I thought it would be awesome to get it, and we actually won the award!” Jung told the Associated Press on the day of the win. “So I am wondering if I am in heaven. I think I was born to receive an Oscar.”

In the heartwarming video, an overwhelmed Jung is seen screaming and jumping up and down during the moment “Parasite” claimed the coveted title.

PARASITE PARTY: 10-year-old #Parasite#기생충 star Jung Hyeon-jun might have been too young to go to the #Oscars – but he still enjoyed the excitement of the best picture win. #AcademyAwardspic.twitter.com/sbn71fJ44z

— AP Entertainment (@APEntertainment) February 18, 2020

“Parasite” was Jung’s first feature film, having got his start in South Korean television series “You Are Too Much,” Through the Waves,” and “Vagabond” prior to his break into movies.

The film, a blockbuster in Korea before taking the U.S. awards season by storm, claimed four Oscars in total out of five nominations, including one for Bong Joon Ho’s directing. The satire was the first foreign-language film to win Best Picture in the Oscars’ 92-year history.

Australians Arrive For Quarantine After Weeks On Coronavirus Cruise Ship

SYDNEY (Reuters) – More than 150 Australians arrived home on Thursday to begin two weeks of quarantine after finally disembarking a cruise ship docked in Japan where more than 600 people have contracted the new coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Diamond Princess, owned by Carnival Corp, has been quarantined at Yokohama near Tokyo since February 3, initially with 3,700 people aboard – including 220 Australian holidaymakers.

The Qantas Airways plane chartered to evacuate the Australians arrived at Darwin shortly before 10:00 am, television footage showed.

A worker wearing a protective suit stands next to a bus carrying passengers, who boarded the Qantas aircraft chartered by the Australian government, from the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship drive at Haneda airport on February 19, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. 

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said 170 Australians were evacuated to Darwin, with a further 47 left in Japan after either contracting coronavirus or deciding to spend the rest of their quarantine period on the Diamond Princess.

All 170 who did evacuate were required to be symptom-free when checked by Japanese health officials prior to boarding the plane, though Australia’s chief medical officer Brendan Murphy on Wednesday said some may still have coronavirus.

After arriving at the Howard Springs quarantine facility, all Australians were again screened, said Di Stephens, acting chief health officer of the Northern Territory.

“There were six people off that plane identified as having minor sniffles and sore throat that we have separated completely, and they will be swabbed this afternoon, and those people have gone straight into an isolation area,” Stephens told reporters in Darwin.

People wave from a bus carrying passengers, who boarded the Qantas aircraft chartered by the Australian government, from the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship drive at the Daikoku Pier on February 19, 2020 in Yokohama, Japan. 

Morrison said he would meet Australia’s National Security Committee later on Thursday to discuss whether to extend a ban on the arrival of foreigners from mainland China, though he hinted the restrictions may be extended.

“We are reviewing the travel ban on a weekly basis, we will do that again today and over the course of the next 24 hours,” Morrison told reporters in Sydney. “I can say not a lot has changed.”

Australia has prevented anyone but citizens and permanent residents from entering the country directly from mainland China since February 1, citing a need to stop the spread of the new flu-like coronavirus that emerged from China late last year.

The restrictions were criticised on Monday by China’s ambassador to Australia, who described them as “harsh” and an “overreaction”.

Morrison has said Canberra would be guided by advice from medical experts, despite growing pressure on the Australian economy.

China is Australia’s largest trading partner and a major source of tourists and fee-paying students.

Australia’s top central banker this month said the coronavirus epidemic could shave 0.2 percentage points off Australia’s economic growth in the first quarter of this year.

Reporting by Colin Packham.

Mum Shares Heartbreaking Video Of 9-Year-Old Son Traumatised By Bullying: ‘If I Don’t Stand Up And Speak Out For Him, Who Will?’

* CONTENT WARNING * 

Queensland mum Yarraka Bayles has been flooded with support after live-streaming a heartbreaking video of her nine-year-old son’s despair after being bullied over his short stature.  

Bayles, an advocate for Indigenous issues and disability awareness, told NITV that she went to pick her son up from Brisbane’s Carina State School on Wednesday and witnessed another student picking on Quaden because of his height.   

Nine-year-old Quaden faced bullying everyday at school.

Quaden was born with achondroplasia, a common form of dwarfism. 

After returning to the car, a fed-up Bayles started to film her son’s anguish in hopes of urging parents to take action against the nonstop bullying her son endures.  

“I’ve just picked my son up from school, witnessed a bullying episode, rang the principal, and I want people to know – parents, educators, teachers – this is the effect that bullying has,” Bayles said in the Facebook Live video. 

“All it takes is for one more instant. You wonder why kids are killing themselves.” 

Bayles explained in the video that the taunting and teasing of her son is constant and he often has thoughts of taking his life. 

In tears, Quaden said in the video: “I just want to die right now.

“Give me a knife I want to kill myself.” 

As of Friday afternoon, the Facebook Live was viewed 25 million times. 

“A lot of my favourite celebrities are messaging me on Instagram, my favourite rappers,” Quaden told NITV in an exclusive interview. 

US comedian Brad Williams, who describes himself as a “Part time dwarf” on Twitter has launched a GoFundMe Page to raise funds for Quaden and his mum to visit Disneyland. 

The page had raised nearly $400k on Friday, Brad has reached out to Ellen Degeneres for help managing the campaign. 

“The love you have shown is unbelievable. Thank you! Money donated will not be wasted! We have a team of people making sure everything is completely legitimate,” Williams said on Friday. 

“We thank you for your generosity and patience while we make sure all this is done the right way.”

Prominent community members, including sports stars and actor Hugh Jackman, have pledged their support to Quaden online.  

“That is one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen,” Aboriginal artist Allan Mckenzie said before donating a print of his famous “Because of Her We Can” to Quaden’s mum.   

“I want you and your family Quaden to know we stand with you, brother we support you in your journey, brother.”  

Quaden – you’ve got a friend in me. #BeKind@LokelaniHigahttps://t.co/8dr3j2z8Sypic.twitter.com/jyqtZYC953

— Hugh Jackman (@RealHughJackman) February 20, 2020

👏 Quaden says “Stand up for yourself, differently abled or not” 🤝🕊. https://t.co/7ubnpDsJD7

— FatherBob (@FatherBob) February 21, 2020

As a father of 3 is heartbreaking to watch 😔 I was bullied myself when I was younger to the point of tears as well and still see a few of the offenders now as an adult. It will stick with him forever , I hope the young lad gets the appropriate help and the bullies are dealt with

— Rowdy (@Rowds12) February 20, 2020

“Quaden’s mother shared publicly a video of him begging for a rope to take his own life due to bullying. The thing about blackfellas is, you bully one of us,you bully all of us. We stand with you Quaden and we need you here, on earth,” shared activist Nessa Turnbull-Roberts

Quadens mother shared publicly a video of him begging for a rope to take his own life due to bullying. The thing about blackfellas is, you bully one of us,you bully all of us. We stand with you Quaden and we need you here, on earth❤️💛🖤✊🏾 pic.twitter.com/hp6QBEnyPU

— Nessa Turnbull-Roberts (@TurnbullVanessa) February 20, 2020

AFL legend Leigh Matthews called for a long-term plan to stop discrimination of short-statured people. 

So sad , would be great to give Quaden a hug to show we care and are on his side , but long term stopping the bullying of him or anyone else is a must https://t.co/fvkgXr7tzn

— Leigh Matthews (@LeighRMatthews) February 20, 2020

The Indigenous #NRLAllStars are behind you Quaden! 👊🏽❤️ pic.twitter.com/52RLy8SrSd

— NRL (@NRL) February 20, 2020

The Indigenous #NRLAllStars have invited 9-year-old Quaden Bayles, a victim of bullying, to lead them out this Saturday night ❤️ pic.twitter.com/UcXhNt3QKF

— NRL (@NRL) February 20, 2020

“This is the impact on a nine-year-old kid that just wants to go to school, get an education and have fun,” Bayles explained in the video. 

“But every single freaking day, something happens. Another episode, another bullying, another taunt, another name-calling.”

Bayles told NITV there has also been criticism of the video, but she was prepared for that.  

“I have copped a lot of backlash for it, I thought twice about deleting it but I wanted people to see the effect bullying is having on my child,” she told the publication. 

“If I don’t stand up and speak out for him, who will?”

Bayles added that disability awareness needs to be raised within schools and the discrimination needs to be addressed in order to save lives. 

“Nobody knows the battles we face in private. I usually share all the positive highlights, but this stuff needs to be addressed to save our babies’ lives.”

NITV reports Quaden has since been removed from the school and will likely be home-schooled.

Bayles told the publication she does not blame any specific child, although she is urging the school to take more action to educate students and parents about the effects of bullying.  

The family thanked people from around the world for the support during a media conference on Friday: 

 

If you or someone you know needs help:

Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800

Lifeline on 13 11 14

Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36

Headspace on 1800 650 890

Outside of Australia, please visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention for a database of resources.

© 2020 Breaking News Today |