On Tuesday, Douglas Emhoff, the husband of U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris, and the Second Gentleman of the U.S. was escorted out of a local high school in D.C. after a bomb threat was made while he attended a Black History Month event.
According to Reuters, Emhoff was at Dunbar High School, which was the first high school for Black students in the U.S., celebrating a Black History Month event when the threat was made. As students and administrators were evacuated, Emhoff was rushed away by Secret Service Agents.
The bomb threat comes after a series of threats that were recently made at various historically black colleges and universities throughout the country. Police say initial information about the threat from Tuesday was neither related to the previous threats, nor was it targeted at Emhoff. However, the possibility of the threat being tied to the previous threats have not been completely ruled out.
The threat that was made to Dunbar High School on Tuesday, was made via phone call, and authorities began to trace the call. Emhoff’s team said the threat was reported to the Secret Service. However, his spokesperson reassured that he was safe.
A spokesperson for District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) said, “We had a threat today to the facility so we … took the precaution of evacuating everybody, as you saw. I think everyone is safe. The building is clear.”
As previously reported, last week a total of 13 HBCUs received threats including Coppin State University, Mississippi Valley State University, Morgan State University, Alcorn State University, Tougaloo College, Jackson State University, Kentucky State University, Fort Valley State University, Howard University, Xavier University, University of the District of Columbia, Spelman College and Edward Waters University.
Prior to that, there were six schools that received threats, including Howard University.
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!
TSR STAFF: Jade Ashley @Jade_Ashley94
The post Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff Escorted From D.C. Area High School After Bomb Threat Is Made appeared first on The Shade Room.
Source: The Shade Room https://theshaderoom.com/second-gentleman-douglas-emhoff-escorted-from-d-c-area-high-school-after-bomb-threat-is-made/