Next month will make it 20 years since the release of “Friday After Next,” which was the last film to release under Ice Cube‘s “Friday” franchise. For years fans have been waiting for the release of the next film, however, there has been some back and forth behind the scenes that have prevented that from happening.
Recently, Ice Cube appeared on a special edition of the Drink Champs podcast, which took place at LL Cool J’s Rock The Bells festival. When asked about the release of the next “Friday” film, Ice Cube shared that he’s trying to get the franchise from up under Warner Bros.
He said, “I’m tryna get it out of Warner Bros. they don’t believe in the culture man.” He continued to explain that Warner Bros. has the right to distribute any of the sequels. Although some folks have been encouraging him to name the next film something else other than “Friday,” he explained that once he takes the characters’ names, it automatically becomes the property of “Friday.”
Cube also shared that he wrote two different scripts for a potential sequel, but Warner Bros. rejected it.
As the process to get another “Friday,” film prolongs, well-known characters from the franchise have passed on in real life, making it more difficult.
As previously reported, John Witherspoon, who played Cube’s father in the films passed away in 2019. Tommy Lister Jr., who played Deebo passed away in 2020, and A.J. Johnson passed away in 2021.
They also addressed if Chris Tucker has committed to starring in another film, to which Cube said Chris did voice to him his commitment to star in another film. However, Chris has said to other people he would star in another film.
Back in 2021, Ice Cube took to social media to call out Warner Bros. as he claims they refuse to make more “Friday,” films.
View this post on Instagram
N.O.R.E continued to ask if there would be a sequel to the 2002 “All About The Benjamins,” which starred Ice Cube and Mike Epps as well. However, Cube said that a potential sequel to that film is tied up due to Warner Bros. as well as a sequel to his 1998 hit film “The Players Club.”
TSR STAFF: Jade Ashley @Jade_Ashley94
The post Ice Cube Shares That He’s Trying To Get His ‘Friday’ Franchise Out Of Warner Bros.–Says They Rejected Two Of His Scripts For Another Potential Film appeared first on The Shade Room.
Source: The Shade Room https://theshaderoom.com/ice-cube-shares-that-hes-trying-to-get-his-friday-franchise-out-of-warner-bros-says-they-rejected-two-of-his-scripts-for-another-potential-film/