Breaking News Today

Neil Mitchell: Don’t blame all Victorians, blame our premier

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Don’t blame all Victorians for our mess, blame our premier, Neil Mitchell writes.

Kanye West vows to win US presidential race, breaks support for President Trump

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Rapper Kanye West signaled that he no longer supported US President Donald Trump and said he had entered the presidential race to win it, in an interview published on Wednesday.West, previously a

NSW teen charged with murder of 10-year-old girl

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

A 14-year-old girl has been charged with murder after a 10-year-old girl was found dead in north-west NSW.

Sydney man fined for false declaration at Queensland border

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

A man was fined when he was stopped at the NSW Queensland border for allegedly lying on his declaration.

Largest camel hospital in the world opens in Saudi Arabia

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

The world’s largest camel treatment and research facility opened in Saudi Arabia’s Qassim Region, SPA reported Monday.The more-than 100 million riyal ($26.7 million) facility is one of only a few in

Teen spends 30 hours in US wilderness, hiding from gunman

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

A teen hid for more than 30 hours in a US forest after a gunman killed his father during an Independence Day trip.

Top US general says Russian bounty intel ‘proved enough to worry’

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

The top US general overseeing operations in the Middle East and Afghanistan has spoken out for the first time about “worrying” intelligence concerning Russian operatives offering bounties to Taliban-linked militants.

MasterChef Australia: Reynold Poernomo And Girlfriend’s VLOGs Will Make You Want To Travel Even More

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

On Tuesday night Reynold Poernomo became the first contestant through to the finals of ‘MasterChef Australia: Back To Win’.

It’s a big feat for the reality star who first appeared on the cooking show back in 2015. Since his original ‘MasterChef’ appearance, Reynold has not only expanded his food career, but has become a travel influencer of sorts. 

The 26-year-old’s YouTube channel shows fun videos he has filmed with girlfriend Chelia Dinata during their overseas adventures.

'MasterChef Australia: Back To Win' contestant Reynold Poernomo with girlfriend Chelia Dinata

One clip from a year ago is the couple’s first VLOG together, taking viewers through their romantic holiday in Bali. 

“This is our first time ever vlogging so I wasn’t really sure what to do except show you guys our day while we’re in Bali together,” Reynold captioned the video.

Related…

It featured footage of Reynold and Chelia kayaking, enjoying a road trip and of course, eating. 

“For breakfast I am craving some yum cha,” Reynold said at one point, as the pair headed to a resort for a delicious meal. 

“The thing is it’s a real battle for me now because I eat two thirds…” he said once they sat down to eat, before Chelia added, “You love your dumplings”. 

There’s more where that came from, with another VLOG showing the couple exploring Singapore, and one more in which Reynold tries to speak Bahasa, the official language of Indonesia. 

On Tuesday night Reynold competed against Callum Hann and Laura Sharrad in the ultimate immunity challenge. 

Thanks to his Harry Potter-inspired dessert called ‘The Snitch’, he managed to impress judges Andy Allen, Melissa Leong and Jock Zonfrillo enough to win and become the first person through to the show’s finals. 

'MasterChef Australia: Back To Win' contestant Reynold Poernomo

MasterChef Australia: Back To Win’ continues on Sunday at 7:30pm on Channel 10. 

Related…

Halle Berry Drops Plans To Play A Transgender Man In New Film After Backlash

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Halle Berry said she has decided to pass on playing a transgender man in a new film after her discussion of the potential role sparked controversy. 

The “X-Men” and “Monster’s Ball” star is gearing up for the release of “Bruised,” her directorial debut presently slated to hit theaters in September. Speaking to hairstylist Christin Brown on Instagram Live over the weekend, she mentioned her plans to follow up “Bruised” by portraying a transgender man in a forthcoming movie.

Berry didn’t specify the title of the film or name any of its creative team. Though she focused on the artistic challenges the project would present, she misgendered the role several times over the course of the interview.

“She’s a woman that transitioned into a man,” the Oscar winner said. “She’s a character in a project I love and I might be doing.”

Still trying to understand why Halle Berry would be interested in playing the role of a transgender man. Sigh! pic.twitter.com/S7W2y8SMfd

— A.J Raven (@tempest071990) July 5, 2020

“I want to experience that world, understand that world,” she added. “It’s really important to me to tell stories, and that’s a woman — that’s a female story. It changes to a man, but I want to understand the why and how of that. You know? I want to get into it.”

Criticism of Berry’s announcement ― and, specifically, her misgendering of the character ― was swift.

“Trans actors for trans roles,” one person wrote. “When cis women play trans men and cis men play trans women, it perpetuates harmful, invalidating stereotypes.” Added another, “Trans men aren’t women playing dress up, and this would do a lot more harm than good.”

By Monday evening, Berry decided to reverse course.

“Over the weekend I had the opportunity to discuss my consideration of an upcoming role as a transgender man, and I’d like to apologise for those remarks,” she wrote on Twitter. “I vow to be an ally in using my voice to promote better representation on-screen, both in front of and behind the camera.”

pic.twitter.com/qpE8Tw1Xmu

— Halle Berry (@halleberry) July 7, 2020

LGBTQ creatives applauded Berry’s decision.

“Thank you for hearing us and for taking the time to listen and understand our concerns,” tweeted “911: Lone Star” actor Brian Michael Smith, who is transgender. “Furthermore, I appreciate your vow to take action and use your platform to promote better representation and opportunities for marginalised artists on both sides of the lens.”

The team behind Netflix’s “Disclosure,” a new documentary that traces the portrayal of trans lives on-screen, thanked Berry for “listening and learning.”

In spite of Hollywood’s proclaimed strides toward on-screen diversity, there have been a number of headline-making controversies over the casting of cisgender actors in transgender roles in recent years.

Matt Bomer’s take on a transgender sex worker in 2017’s “Anything” garnered mixed reviews and complaints from trans actors who said they’d auditioned for the part. The following year, Scarlett Johansson sparked outcry when she was cast as a trans crime boss in “Rub & Tug.” A week after her casting was announced, she apologised and exited the role.

Related…

Melbourne plane passengers allowed to leave Sydney Airport without health tests

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

A Jetstar flight from Melbourne to Sydney pulled into its gate without NSW Health approval before dozens of passengers began to move into and exit the airport.

Victoria’s COVID-19 cases jump by 134 hours before stage three lockdown

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Victoria has almost 3,000 cases of coronavirus in the state as millions are just hours away from six-week “stay at home” restrictions.

Mary Kay Letourneau, Former 6th Grade Teacher Jailed For Raping Student, Dead At 58

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

SEATTLE (AP) — Mary Kay Letourneau, a teacher who married her former sixth-grade student after she was convicted of raping him in a case that drew international headlines, has died. She was 58.Her lawyer David Gehrke told multiple news outlets Le…

Finance Advice 2021