Breaking News Today

Woman released from quarantine after ‘Melbourne trip’ sparked scare

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

One of the three young women accused of lying on their border passes to re-enter Queensland from Melbourne has been released from hotel quarantine.

One of the three young women accused of lying on their border passes to re-enter Queensland from Melbourne has been released from hotel quarantine.

Haja Timbo, 21, was ordered into mandatory quarantine despite testing negative to COVID-19 late last month.

This afternoon 9News asked Ms Timbo why she went to Melbourne.

She declined to comment.

Coronavirus: Restrictions on aged care facilities to be lifted in Queensland

Her father defended his daughter's actions saying "she didn't go there to catch corona". He described her two weeks in mandatory quarantine as "detention".

She is facing charges of lying about visiting Melbourne, a declared hotspot, last month with Olivia Winnie Muranga and Diana Lasu.

LIVE BLOG: Follow the 9News coronavirus blog for updates from across the country

The trio's alleged movements sparked a major scare in Queensland and saw a record number of people get tested across the state.

Earlier this week Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said she was cautiously optimistic the state had avoided an outbreak.

No further community transmission has been detected in over 10 days.

"We all know that 14-day incubation period and we all know that there are cases — around 20 per cent or so — that don't get any symptoms, so then you have to wait until they've spread it to someone else," Dr Young said on Monday.

"So Monday is when I'll be able to say that I think that we've probably — and it's always a probable, unfortunately — probably avoided further cases out of that cluster due to those young women who went down to Melbourne."

The women visited schools, shops and restaurants across Logan and Brisbane while they were potentially infectious.

READ:  JobSeeker increase can't be an impediment to work, PM says

You can get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store, Google Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel.

Beyond Blue's Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is a 24/7 service free of charge to all Australians. Visit the site here or call 1800512348.

For coronavirus breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/queensland-woman-accused-of-travelling-to-melbourne-hotspot-released-from-quarantine/3873e072-7bb3-4803-963f-18209d49e37f

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021