The NSW-Victoria border will close at midnight tonight as Victoria’s renewed coronavirus outbreak intensifies.
The NSW-Victoria border will close at midnight tonight as Victoria's renewed coronavirus outbreak intensifies.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said it "wasn't a decision we take lightly", but her government made it amid growing community transmissions in Victoria.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews described the declaration as a "precautionary" measure and a "smart call".
READ MORE: How will the NSW-Victoria border closure work
Here are the main points from their media conferences:
- Mr Andrews said the decision was made after a phone call between Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Ms Berejiklian this morning. "All of us agreed that the best thing to do is to close the border," Mr Andrews said.
- There are 55 border crossings between Victoria and NSW, and it's a "mammoth task" to monitor them, Ms Berejiklian, said.
- NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said they were concerned at growing transmission rates in Victoria. "We have been considering this now for quite some time, and the conversations have been many as to how we could approach this," Mr Hazzard said.
- Ms Berejiklian said the move was "unprecedented" and the Australian Defence Force will be called on to help enforce the border closure.
- There are four major road crossings, 33 bridges, two waterways and many smaller roles police say.
- Exemptions will be available for essential workers, with paperwork set to be available online. Mr Andrews said there would be a permit system for people who needed to cross the border into NSW, particularly those residing in Wodonga
- Victoria has recorded its largest amount of coronavirus infections since the pandemic began, with 127 cases detected overnight. The record-breaking number of cases brings the state's total to 2660.
- There have been 10 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in NSW overnight after more than 11,000 tests. There are 69 people with the virus in the state, with one person in intensive care.
Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-vic-border-closure-why-premiers-decided-what-will-be-closed/26e30bd8-68cc-477f-92b3-535d5c32c5ed