Breaking News Today

Trump ‘never going to declare himself the legitimate loser’, says ex-news anchor

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Donald Trump is “never going to declare himself the legitimate loser”, former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly has said.

Donald Trump has issued another threat to Joe Biden ahead of the former Vice President's press conference as votes are continuing to be counted.

"Joe Biden should not wrongfully claim the office of the President. I could make that claim also," Mr Trump tweeted.

"Legal proceedings are just now beginning."

The tweet offers some indication that Mr Trump believes Mr Biden will claim victory in a matter of hours.

READ MORE: US Election 2020 live updates

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324846580147642369

This comes as former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly has claimed Mr Trump will "never declare himself the legitimate loser" of the election.

Kelly found herself in spotlight earlier this year due to her feud with Mr Trump, which formed the basis of a big-screen film, Bombshell.

Kelly said Mr Trump's reaction to the unfolding election isn't unexpected.

"I don't think anybody thought that if Trump lost he would go quietly," she told Today.

"I'm not sure they thought it would be quite as dark as it has been this week but I do believe he will eventually concede"

"He's never going to declare himself the legitimate loser of this race but I don't believe he will have to be dragged from the White House kicking and screaming."

Kelly said Mr Trump's refusal to accept defeat is in line with his character.

"I don't think losing is a familiar feeling to him," she said.

"He's an optimist but to the point where he refuses to see anything negative even when it's staring at him in his face."

READ MORE: Trump hints at suing his way to victory

READ:  Coronavirus: Qatar reports 915 new COVID-19 cases, two virus-related deaths

Mr Trump has filed several lawsuits in key battleground states where Biden has taken the lead, accusing Democrats of corruption and voter fraud.

Despite having no evidence to support the claims, Kelly said Mr Trump's is justified.

"No one is behaving particularly well but of those involved Biden's been pretty good."

"I think it's totally within his right and what he owes to his supporters to fight for every vote and make sure every vote is legitimate."

Kelly also hit out at her former network and other news outlets for cutting off Trump's address yesterday.

READ MORE: Trump unlikely to accept Biden victory as president loses lead

Mr Trump spoke to Americans from the White House on Thursday evening, illegitimately declaring victory in the election for the second time this week.

Several US news networks cut their feeds of the 16-minute speech including Fox, CNBC and MSNBC.

MSNBC halted its live stream of the speech just a few minutes in, with host Brian Williams saying: "Here we are again in the unusual position of not only interrupting the president of the United States but correcting the president of the United States.

"It was not rooted in reality – and at this point, where our country is, it's dangerous."

Kelly said the move was "ridiculous" and networks should have done a fact check after the speech opposed to censoring the speech.

"I thought it was ridiculous … I understand what he was saying was very controversial and untrue but you don't get to silence him. He's still the president of the United States."

READ:  'My world crumbled': Aussie couple's fight to come home after brain injury

"I think it was really elitist and out of their lane to stop him from being heard by the audience."

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/us-election-megyn-kelly-says-trump-will-concede-when-results-announced/b6095d04-5884-4108-9a68-0d7a1b83b285

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021