Breaking News Today

Sydney’s centre, east sent into lockdown

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Tens of thousands of city workers will also be caught by the stay-at-home order, as NSW records 22 new COVID-19 cases.

The number of COVID-19 cases in NSW has surged again today with 22 new local cases announced.

The total number of cases linked to the Bondi cluster now sits at 65.

All of the new NSW cases are have been linked.

Q&A EXPLAINER: Everything you need to know about new lockdown for Sydney COVID-19 hotspots

LIVE UPDATES: Parts of Sydney to go into lockdown

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1408228493310132226

So far the only unconnected coronavirus case in Sydney in the past week is a nine-year-old boy from Waverley.

"Because this is a contagious strain, we anticipate that close to 100 per cent of everybody in a household is likely to get the virus if one person has had positive test results," NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

Four Sydney LGAs to enter snap lockdown

Ms Berejiklian announced a lockdown for four local government areas in Sydney, including the CBD.

People who live and work in Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and the City of Sydney are now subject to a stay-at-home order.

That will be in place for a week, until next Friday.

Anyone who has been working in the four locked-down local government areas for the past two weeks is now subject to a stay-at-home order.

Consequently, workers in the CBD are, as of now, unable to leave the home without good reason.

"If you've been working in the four Local Government Areas, either part-time or permanently in the past two weeks, you are subject to the stay-at-home order," Ms Berejiklian said.

"So it doesn't matter where you live.

"You need to stay at home unless absolutely necessary.

"The necessary reasons include - if you can't work from home and you have to work outside of home.

"If you can't get educated at home and you have to get educated outside of home.

READ:  What is behind the China-India border dispute?

"If you exercise outside, although we don't want any more groups than 10.

"And if you need to provide care or compassion to a relative. And fourthly, of course, if you need to buy essential goods or services."

The restrictions announced on Wednesday for everywhere else will be extended for two more days.

Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has explained why West Hoxton, which is nowhere near any of the four locked down areas, has not been placed into lockdown.

So far 17 people at the West Hoxton birthday party have tested positive to coronavirus.

Dr Chant said the cases were "promptly identified".

"Some people were infectious in the community for a period of time," she said.

"But we are closely monitoring that situation.

"We want to make sure that we prevent any other seeding events in Southwestern Sydney and Western Sydney in particular."

READ MORE: Testing ramped up 650km from Sydney after virus found in sewage

Businesses in the four LGAs ordered into lockdown will also have to close over the next week.

"Unless you're providing essential food and services - that is take away food and services or grocery services of that nature, we don't expect those businesses to remain open in the next week," Ms Berejiklian said.

"I appreciate this is a blow for businesses in those communities."

She listed gyms, bars and nightclubs as places that will have to close.

'Significant concern' for Sydney hair salon

A person who was infectious on June 15 has been determined to be the cause of the Joh Bailey hairdressing salon in Double Bay, the Fresh Nails salon in Westfield Bondi Junction and the Life café in Bondi.

"And a close contact of this person then introduced the infection to the Tropicana Café," Dr Chant said.

READ:  Boy, 12, Remains Totally Calm Despite The Massive Bear Creeping Up Behind Him

"I've got significant concerns for patrons and staff of the Joh Bailey salon in Double Bay, because we have at least three staff members who were working whilst infectious and with two confirmed cases amongst clients so far.

READ MORE: Needle-free coronavirus vaccine trial begins in Australia

Bondi Beach drive-through COVID-19 Clinic, Sydney.

"I'm urging all clients and staff of Joh Bailey between June 15 and 23 to be tested and maintain quarantine."

Over 900 clients attended the salon over the time staffers were potentially infectious.

Seventeen people who attended the West Hoxton birthday party have now tested positive to the virus.

Dr Chant said she expects more cases to be detected over current days.

Safety guidelines for airport workers tightened

Guidelines to prevent the spread of coronavirus between overseas arrivals and airport drivers will also be upgraded to "clear orders".

"The guidelines that have existed will be now pushed into very clear orders with very clear consequences," NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said.

"We also have to recognise that it's very hard to make a law against stupidity."

The Sydney outbreak began because an unvaccinated limousine driver caught the Delta variant from air crew.

Mr Hazzard noted that all drivers were able to get a jab at a vaccination hub at the airport.

For an individual who breaks the guidelines, a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment and a penalty of $11,000.

"Whilst we can't legislate, whilst we can't make laws against stupidity, we can remind individuals who are not compliant to keep themselves and therefore, our community safe, that there are substantial penalties," Mr Hazzard said.

NSW Police will be stopping cars and checking licences to make sure people aren't travelling when they shouldn't be as restrictions tighten in the coming days.

READ:  Taika Waititi Makes History As First Indigenous Director To Win An Oscar

"It doesn't mean that there will be road blocks," Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys said.

Seven infringement notices were issued to people for not wearing masks indoors, mostly on public transport.

READ MORE: Police seeking 'urgent legal advice' on limo driver

Fears cluster could spread

Testing is already being ramped up hundreds of kilometres north-west of Sydney after coronavirus was detected at the sewage treatment plant in Bourke, raising fears how far the cluster may have already spread beyond the state capital.

Health authorities said it was the first time the virus had been detected at the plant, which serves about 2000 people.

Locals were urged to watch closely for the onset of symptoms as health authorities sought to "urgently" boost testing capacity in the remote area, more than 600 kilometres north-west of Sydney.

The list of exposure sites is getting longer, with more than 30 alerts announced since 5pm yesterday.

NSW Parliament itself became an exposure site after Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall tested positive, while the outbreak has stretched its tentacles to Melbourne after a visitor picked the virus up before travelling home.

Two workers at a dry cleaners in Melbourne have now tested positive.

"I do want to stress that my level of concern is medium to high across New South Wales but at the same time, a couple of things that we are pleased about is that all the new cases but one are linked and that one is under investigation," Ms Berejiklian said.

"We do expect more cases in the coming days but we also please expect everybody to do the right thing."

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-update-new-cases-sydney-restrictions-lockdown-more-exposure-sites/1a0c2570-f443-48ee-84b2-42922815aa36

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021