Breaking News Today

Sydney hospital worker infectious during emergency department shift

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

The staff member at Hornsby Hospital in Sydney worked for one shift while infectious, a Northern Sydney Local Health District spokesperson confirmed.

A healthcare worker at a Sydney emergency department, a Bunnings employee and a high school student are among the latest coronavirus cases in NSW.

The staff member at Hornsby Hospital in Sydney worked for one shift while infectious, a Northern Sydney Local Health District spokesperson confirmed.

They were in the hospital's emergency department on Thursday, August 6, from 11am to midnight.

"The staff member became unwell after their shift and immediately self-isolated and got tested for COVID-19," they said in a statement.

Hornsby Hospital

"The staff member had been wearing a mask at all times while in contact with patients."

The healthcare worker is a household contact of another case confirmed today.

Staff who have had contact with the healthcare worker have been identified and instructed to self-isolate for 14 days.

Anyone who visited the hospital's emergency department on Thursday between those times is being contacted by authorities.

The incident has not impacted services in the emergency department, the spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, Bunnings Campbelltown have put customers on high alert after one of their staff tested positive to COVID-19.

The employee worked three shifts in the past week but wore a mask during their entire shift and practiced social distancing. Other staff members are now self-isolating.

Bunnings Campbelltown

They were present in the store during the following times:

• Tuesday, August 4, from 11am to 7pm

• Wednesday, August 5, from 8am to 4pm

• Thursday, August 6, from 1pm to 3pm

NSW Health urges anyone who experience even mild symptoms to get tested for COVID-19.

And in Sydney's North West, a second student has tested positive to COVID-19 at Tangara School for Girls.

READ:  Man charged over alleged shooting in Scone

The Cherrybrook high school was closed as of Friday afternoon for cleaning, after a Year 7 student tested positive for coronavirus.

Now as the second confirmed case emerges, drastic measures are being taken to maintain the safety of the wider community.

"NSW Health have decided that, for the safety of the Tangara community and the wider community, all secondary students (7-12) are to be considered close contacts of a confirmed case of COVID-19 and should therefore self-isolate immediately until Friday 21 August 2020," a statement from Principal Rita Sakr said.

"All students and others identified as close contacts must remain in isolation until August 21, even if a negative test is returned.

"A repeat test should be undertaken if symptoms appear (including fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, fatigue), even if mild."

The school advises that onsite learning will resume on Monday, August 24.

Ahead of the school's reopening, students from Year 12 will begin remote learning from Tuesday, August 11, while Years 7-11 will commencing remote classes the following day, on Wednesday, August 12.

As a precaution, Tangara's junior school campus will also be non-operational for onsite learning until the school's reopening on August 24.

Students from the junior school are not considered close contacts of a confirmed case and are not required to isolate.

As mystery cases continue to rise across NSW, the state's top doctor has told 9News the state needs to act.

"I'm now more worried about our trajectory into the future than I have been at any other time," NSW AMA President Dr Danielle McMullen said.

READ:  Irish ex-tradie jailed for at least six years for killing Sydney student in crash

"We need to consider harder lockdowns in terms of numbers at these large venues in particular, but then with the restrictions that we have, make sure people are really following them."

Dr McMullen's comments come as Two popular venues in Sydney's inner-west and eastern suburbs have been targeted by police for breaching coronavirus restrictions.

The Unity Hall Hotel in Balmain and The Eastern Hotel in Bondi Junction are the latest venues to be fined $5000 for breaching COVID public health orders. 

"These latest breaches mean a total of 18 venues across NSW have now been fined for COVID safety breaches in the past month," Liquor & Gaming NSW Director of Compliance Dimitri Argeres said.

"The time for warnings is now long gone. Venues caught doing the wrong thing can expect to be fined for the first breach and shut down for second and subsequent breaches."

Of the known clusters, 111 cases are linked to Thai Rock Wetherill Park, 55 cases are linked to the funeral events in Bankstown and surrounding suburbs.

Thirty-four cases are linked to Potts Point, including 28 cases linked to the Apollo Restaurant and six cases linked with the Thai Rock Restaurant Potts Point.

You can get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store, Google Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel.

Beyond Blue's Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is a 24/7 service free of charge to all Australians. Visit the site here or call 1800512348

For coronavirus breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-coronavirus-new-cases-hospital-school-bunnings-covid-19-alert/be766a3c-c703-456f-8a8c-2785a09a3809

READ:  Philadelphia police shooting of Black man sparks unrest

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021