Breaking News Today

‘Repeat offender’ who breached self-isolation to face court

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

A man accused of breaking self-isolation orders on three occasions after returning from overseas will face a Sydney court today.

A man accused of breaking self-isolation orders on three occasions after returning from overseas will face a Sydney court today.

On March 18, the 30-year-old man arrived at Sydney International Airport on a flight from Jordan and was told to self-isolate for a 14 days.

Two days later, he was arrested by police at Edensor Park in the city's west for an outstanding warrant and granted court bail, which included a condition that he obey the government directions to self-isolate.

On Saturday, the man was again stopped by officers in Pagewood and issued with a $1000 Penalty Infringement Notice for failing to comply.

About 10pm the same evening, police spoke to the man on Pitt Street in Sydney's CBD. He was arrested and later charged for breach of bail and non-compliance with a ministerial direction under the Public Health Act 2010 (NSW).

He was granted conditional bail and is due to appear at the Downing Centre Local Court on May 6.

Due to the man's failure to self-isolate at his home address at Edensor Park, a Public Health Order was also served directing him to do so at a serviced apartment at Camperdown.

Yesterday the man was taken to the apartments in inner-Sydney, where police will allege he again failed to comply and was arrested while attempting to leave the accommodation.

He was taken to Sydney City Police Station and charged with not complying with the public health directions.

He was refused bail and will appear in Central Local Court today.

David Elliott, NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services, said the man's behaviour was "reckless" and put others at risk.

READ:  Malka Leifer lands in Melbourne after extradition from Israel
Coronavirus cases across Sydney metropolitan region by local health district

"This repeat offender's reckless and selfish behaviour could have dangerous consequences to the community at large at a time when the vast majority are united to protect lives," he said.

In a separate incident, three infringements were issued after police uncovered a restaurant operating on George Street in Sydney CBD overnight.

Officers were on patrol when they saw about eight to 10 males inside a Japanese restaurant playing poker and drinking alcohol.

As police entered the restaurant, a number of men fled the scene.

Officers spoke with the business owner and issued him with a $5000 fine.

Two men were also fined $1000 each.

Inquiries continue with further action expected to be taken regarding illegal gaming and licensing offences.

NSW Police Force Commissioner Mick Fuller said police will continue to do everything possible to protect the community from the spread of COVID-19.

"The actions police have taken so far indicate how serious we are in the fight to ensure the safety of the people of NSW," he said.

For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.

You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App StoreGoogle Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel.

Source: 9News

Share This
Finance Advice 2021