Breaking News Today

Regional mayor “shocked and saddened” by possible COVID-19 exposure

Published: in Australian News by .

Katrina Humphries says Moree will continue getting tested and look out for each other after a Victorian positive coronavirus case passed through the community on their way to Queensland.

The mayor of Moree has moved to reassure residents ahead of a few "anxious days" sparked by a Victorian woman with COVID-19 passing through the community on her way to Queensland.

Katrina Humphries said she was "shocked and saddened" the town might have been exposed to the virus after a lockdown border breach but residents would continue getting tested and looking out for each other.

"Moree will get through this, we will have a few anxious days and be inconvenienced, however if we do get any positive results back we need to be mindful and caring of our community," Cr Humphries said in a statement.

READ MORE: Victorian couple breach lockdown to enter Queensland

"This is no fault of any of our residents, and if anyone becomes ill we need to look out for them and give them moral support."

Cr Humphries said a drive-through testing clinic would open on Thursday at 9am to help with the large numbers anticipated and her office was looking at getting more vaccines from the federal government.

Her comments came after health authorities in New South Wales added a further two locations to the list of exposure sites linked to a positive COVID case who travelled from Melbourne, through NSW, to Queensland.

A Shell petrol station in Dubbo and Woolworths store in Moree were added to the growing list of locations.

The positive case travelled through regional NSW while potentially infectious from June 1 to June 5.

The woman drove with her partner from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, stopping at places in Gillenbah, Forbes, Dubbo and Moree with 13 venues now on alert as possible exposure sites.

READ:  Palestinian shot dead at West Bank checkpoint: Israel police

Anyone who attended the following venues at the times listed must immediately get tested and isolate until they receive further information from NSW Health.

The alert applies to the following venues:

READ MORE: Lockdown eases but Melbourne gyms stay closed

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1402554708179316740?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Queensland health authorities today confirmed the woman, from a suburb on the outskirt of greater Melbourne, arrived in Queensland on June 5.

The alerts come exactly one week since authorities issued warnings for a number of venues on the NSW south coast after a positive case associated with the Melbourne outbreak visited the area while potentially infectious.

READ:  Stockton Community Liaison Group welcomes latest briefing on long-term coastal planning

So far, no cases of community transmission have been diagnosed in connection with the alerts with the state maintaining its month-long COVID-free streak.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-health-alerts-issued-for-exposure-sites-across-regional-nsw-dubbo-moree-gillenbah-forbes-after-positive-queensland-case/84b0f701-67fd-4c0a-b3b4-73cedd8efc31

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021