The bacteria Naegleria Fowleri was found, which can cause an infection known as Amoebic meningitis.
Popular Perth swimming hole Serpentine Falls has been closed to the public after water sampling detected a potentially deadly bacteria.
Testing conducted by the Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale confirmed a positive result for bacteria Naegleria Fowleri, which can cause an infection known as Amoebic meningitis.
The condition is rare but can be fatal, with symptoms including severe and persistent headaches, high fever, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and drowsiness, occurring within five days of infection.
Infection occurs when water is forced into the nose at pressure from jumping, falling or diving into the water.
Anyone who has recently been swimming at Serpentine Falls and is experiencing these symptoms is advised to contact a medical professional.
More information about Amoebic Meningitis is available on the Department of Health website: https://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Amoebic-meningitis
Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/serpentine-falls-shut-after-naegleria-fowleri-found/ee035c4f-9587-4ed2-9670-fb9a9c7d3d6d