Breaking News Today

Paris on maximum virus alert, closing bars not restaurants

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Police prefect Didier Lallement announced the new restrictions would apply at least for the next two weeks.

French authorities placed the Paris region on maximum coronavirus alert on Monday, banning festive gatherings and requiring all bars to close but allowing restaurants to remain open, as numbers of infections increased rapidly.

Paris police prefect Didier Lallement announced the new restrictions would apply at least for the next two weeks.

"We are continuously adapting to the reality of the virus. We are taking measures to slow down (its spread)," he said.

Read more: Coronavirus: How it all went wrong (again) in Europe as second wave grips continent

French authorities consider bars to be major infection hot spots because patrons don't respect social distancing rules as much as they do at restaurants.

Paris, France

Starting on Tuesday, bars will be closed in Paris and its suburbs. Student parties and all other festive and family events in establishments open to the public will be banned.

Restaurants will remain open under strict conditions. They include a minimum one-metre distance between each table, groups limited to six people instead of 10 previously, and a request to register customers' names and phone numbers to help alert those who may have been exposed to someone with the coronavirus .

Read more: Will Europe's second wave of coronavirus cases mean a second huge death toll?

Indoor sport facilities, including swimming pools, will only be open to children aged under 18. Gyms are already closed.

Cinemas, theatres and museums will remain open with strict sanitary rules, but fairs and professional shows won't be allowed.

Authorities have maintained the limit of 1000 spectators per day at big sports events, allowing the Roland-Garros tennis tournament to continue as planned this week.

READ:  How Donald Trump's second impeachment will work
French Open

The director of the Regional Health Authority, Aurelien Rousseau, said about 3500 new cases of infection are confirmed on average each day in the Paris region, and 36 per cent of ICU beds in the area are occupied by COVID-19 patients.

The alert has already been raised to the maximum level for 12 days in the southern city of Marseille and nearby Aix-en-Provence, as well as the French overseas territory of Guadeloupe, in the Caribbean.

Authorities ordered the shutdown of all public venues, including bars and restaurants in these areas, which prompted several demonstrations from angry business owners in Marseille.

On Monday, local authorities announced restaurants in Marseille and Aix-en-Provence would reopen on condition they respect the same restrictions as in Paris.

https://twitter.com/Anne_Hidalgo/status/1313103651444076551

French health authorities reported on Saturday 16,972 new cases of infection, the highest daily number since the country began widespread testing.

The country, one of the hardest hit in Europe, has reported 32,230 virus-related deaths since the beginning of the pandemic.

Paris, France

– Reported with Associated Press

You can get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store, Google Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel.

Beyond Blue's Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is a 24/7 service free of charge to all Australians. Visit the site here or call 1800 512 348

For coronavirus breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-europe-paris-on-maximum-virus-alert-closing-bars-not-restaurants-covid19-france/5d1a8b16-4a5a-411e-80a9-35f3febc3b0f

READ:  Reminder regarding current public gathering restrictions and penalties

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021