Sydney residents will be able to enter the Northern Territory without entering two weeks of quarantine.
Sydney residents will be able to enter the Northern Territory without entering two weeks of quarantine from today.
The move will make it easier for Sydneysiders to enjoy a Top End holiday.
Greater Sydney was declared a hotspot area by NT officials on July 17.
The decision to lift it comes despite NSW recording 12 new infections yesterday.
EXPLAINED: Australian border restriction changes explained state by state
NT health authorities said they took the decision after they were briefed by NSW officials who showed that the current COVID-19 cases in Sydney were linked.
The decision also means anyone from Sydney already in quarantine in Darwin will be allowed to leave today.
NT Chief Health Officer Dr Charles Pain said officials would continue monitoring situation.
He urged any Sydneysiders in the NT who showed coronavirus symptoms to get tested.
The NT has also removed other communities from its hotspot list.
READ MORE: Ripples cluster a concern with eight new cases of COVID-19 community transmission in NSW
From November 2, residents in regional Victoria will be able to travel north.
The NT will also welcome New Zealanders once the Trans-Tasman bubble is established from October 16.
Territory tourist operators had been pushing for the easing of border restrictions to help regenerate the local economy.
For breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.
You can also get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store, Google Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel.
Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-northern-territory-removes-sydney-from-hotspot-list/cafda9fc-d8e5-47dd-898e-3fd2190c64b9