Traces of COVID-19 were detected in sewerage systems in Batemans Bay, despite 13 days of no new cases state-wide.
Thousands of people on the NSW south coast are on alert after positive traces of COVID-19 was detected in sewerage systems in Batemans Bay.
The state has reached its 13th consecutive day of no locally acquired COVID-19 cases.
There were three cases of COVID-19 recorded in returned travellers in hotel quarantine, bring the total number of virus cases to 4328 since the pandemic began.
Interactive: Australia's coronavirus cases by numbers and hotspot locationshttps://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1329575938103803905
Residents in Batemans Bay on the NSW south coast have been told to monitor for symptoms after fragments of the virus were detected in samples taken on Tuesday from the area's sewerage system.
The catchment takes sewage from approximately 21,000 people.
NSW Health said the positive sewage result could be shedding of the virus by someone who previously had the illness.
Virus 'shedding' can occur for up to six to eight weeks after the initial infection.
While this positive result may be explained by a previous case who is no longer infectious, NSW Health is calling on people in the Batemans Bay area to get tested if they have even the mildest COVID-19 symptoms.
There were 18,391 tests reported latest testing period - a downturn of about 2000 since the day before.
NSW Health is treating 63 COVID-19 cases, none of whom are in intensive care. Most cases, 97 per cent, are being treated by NSW Health in non-acute, out-of-hospital care.
The state's zero-cases streak comes as health authorities monitor the ongoing situation in South Australia where the state has entered its second day of lockdown.
NSW health has urged anyone who has been in SA since November 6 to monitor the SA Health alert page for venues of concern.
They must self-isolate if they have been to any venues where this is advised, and get tested if symptoms appear.
Plans for Sydney's New Year festivities were announced yesterday with a new public health order specific for December 31 to be introduced in the coming weeks.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the order will be established to create a CBD exclusion zone to limit the number of people gathering for parties and other New Year's Eve events.
Anyone who intends to visit the CBD on New Years Eve will be required to have a permit or be able to demonstrate a booking at a café, restaurant or hotel.
EXPLAINED: How to get your $100 NSW vouchers and where you can spend them
You can get up-to-date information from the Federal Government's Coronavirus Australia app, available on the App Store, Google Play and the Government's WhatsApp channel.
Beyond Blue's Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is a 24/7 service free of charge to all Australians. Visit the site here or call 1800512348.
For coronavirus breaking news alerts and livestreams straight to your smartphone sign up to the 9News app and set notifications to on at the App Store or Google Play.
Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-nsw-health-update-13th-consecutive-day-no-locally-acquired-covid19-cases-3-hotel-quarantine-latest-numbers/d25fd66b-447b-4b16-9316-ec3adc18b628