A Western Australia family has been left homeless after fire raged through their Kewdale home destroying almost everything they own.

The blaze was started accidently by a lit mosquito coil leaving behind a $500,000 damage bill.

"We've lost a lot of photos and videos I make of the kids and that's probably the hardest thing actually is that I've lost them but the rest we can replace," homeowner Candy Piani told 9News.

The family of five were woken when their backyard decking caught fire around 2am today. Despite fighting to put the flames out, the blaze was too intense. "We've basically walked out with no clothes apart from what we're wearing," Mrs Piani said.

"We're lucky, at the end of the day it was hard and maybe we'll still feel it later, but right now we feel pretty lucky."

The mosquito coil was burning in the backyard but when the home owner went to bed the stick was still smoking. The fire quickly spread to where two young children were sleeping in these two bedrooms - they had just minutes to get out to safety.

Mrs Piani's husband Mark rushed into his children's rooms rescuing his kids.

"I was petrified because I knew I was safe as long as we were safe but it was still a horrible feeling," the couple's son Jake said.

The Piani's are insured and plan to rebuild. They have this warning for people using coils or incense sticks. "Put a bucket of water on it first, we thought it was out," Mrs Piani said.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/western-australia-mosquito-coil-sparks-perth-house-fire/854ee6c4-4813-4bd9-9a63-55b7e014ba9b

By 1news.info

Author 1news.info