Breaking News Today

Gas leak being investigated in Wedge Island camping tragedy

Published: (Updated: ) in Australian News by .

Police are investigating why the safety mechanism on a camping fridge failed to stop a gas leak that killed a father, his son and the family dog.

Police are investigating why the safety mechanism on a camping fridge failed to stop a gas leak that killed a father, his son and the family dog.

Nigel Warman, his wife Louanne and their son Liam, were asleep in their tent at Didey Bay, near Wedge Island when tragedy struck on Australia Day.

Toxic gas escaped from a leaking camp fridge, killing Nigel, Liam and their pet Labrador Ava.

Louanne was hospitalised. Two other siblings, a 21-year-old woman and 16-year-old boy, had stayed home instead of joining the rest of the family on the camping trip.

Today police visited the family at their Northern Suburbs home to try and find out what went wrong.

Experts say gas camping fridges are equipped with a safety mechanism that prevents the release of gas if the flame goes out.

It's not yet clear whether the leak was a manufacturer or operator fault.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/wedge-island-gas-leak-tragedy-family-named-wa-news/750677c0-64ea-4f07-b22f-972977bad77a

READ:  Hundreds flee Victoria for SA ahead of midnight lockdown
Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021