The family behind an illegal engagement party held during Melbourne’s lockdown – where coronavirus spread – have been hit with almost $22,000 worth of fines.
The family behind an illegal engagement party held during Melbourne's lockdown - where coronavirus spread - have been hit with almost $22,000 worth of fines.
Chief Police Commissioner Shane Patton today said four fines had been issued over the illegal party - two to each of the parents of the bride-to-be and two to the engaged couple.
The fines issued are for $5452 each, totaling $21,808 between the family-to-be.
READ MORE: Victoria records 57 new cases, Melbourne marks 200 days in lockdown
Commissioner Patton said the fine recipients had been very cooperative with police investigating the significant lockdown breach.
Police are expecting to issue many more fines, with Commissioner Patton confirming police were planning to fine all of the people present at the party.
Commissioner Patton said police were arranging to speak to other attendees of the party, with the party-goers' need to self-isolate making interviewing them more difficult.
"We are now in the throws of arranging to engage with all other persons present and how we can conduct those interviews through Zoom and other areas to ensure we have proper identification."
LIVE UPDATES: Experts predict NSW could hit 4000 cases per day next month
On Monday, Commissioner Patton said he expected to issue more than $350,000 in fines to the 69 people who were involved.
"That's an expensive engagement party."
At least seven COVID-19 cases have been linked to the party, which Premier Daniel Andrews slammed as disappointing and driven by "selfish choices".
Following community backlash, on Monday the mother of the groom responded to criticism saying, "We did wrong but the hate coming our way is just so mean... Look into your heart and try to find forgiveness".
Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-victoria-update-engagement-party-fines-police-restrictions/6bb5b6c3-7f4c-43b4-bc45-cdaed9a786a0