Breaking News Today

Entire school forced in isolation after family refuses coronavirus test

Published: in Australian News by .

All children that attended a Gold Coast school with possible coronavirus cases have been ordered into quarantine.

All children that attended a Gold Coast school with possible coronavirus cases have been ordered into quarantine.

A family of five at the Australian International Islamic school is alleged to have travelled from Queensland to Melbourne and back via backroads.

Two of the children went to the Carrara school and told classmates they had been to Melbourne.

READ MORE: Treasurer's plea over border closures separating families

The family has been put into hotel quarantine but have thus far refused to be tested for coronavirus, despite reporting symptoms.

"They've got some symptoms, but I don't know if they're anything to do with COVID," Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young said.

"You've got to remember these children are under the age of 10."

Consequently, every student at the school has been ordered to isolate until the family passes a coronavirus test.

Parents of other students at the school will not be required to isolate.

"If we can't get those two children tested then that school will be in quarantine for 14 days," Dr Young said.

"I desperately hope this family will allow us to do this. It's critical."

The school has since closed and students have been sent home.

9News has contacted the school for comment.

READ MORE: Sydney patient's self-inflicted bout of diarrhoea and vomiting from unproven drug

"Unfortunately this family is refusing to be tested and so far is not cooperating with authorities and refusing to reveal where they have been," Health Minister Yvette D'Ath told parliament this morning.

"Some of the family members are unwell but we don't know if it's COVID so we have to treat it as if it is.

READ:  Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Kept This Part Of Their Love Story A 'Mystery,' New Book Says

"We ask people, especially on the Gold Coast area, to be checking the (Queensland Health) website regularly."

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the border breach was "very serious".

"We need this family to cooperate with authorities," she said.

Queensland today recorded one local case of COVID-19, a truck driver from Windaroo in Logan who tested positive on the Gold Coast and may have been infectious in the community for five days since August 27.

The truck driver is not the same case as the one reported yesterday from NSW that led to new contact tracing locations in Brisbane and Goondiwindi.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-gold-coast-school-closed-children-boasted-about-travelling-from-melbourne-dodging-border-restrictions-queensland-news/3cce100b-e06c-46d8-ab9b-3f8541d3dce0

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021