Breaking News Today

Custody fight over a six-year-old boy who survived a cable car crash in Italy

Published: in Australian News by .

Six-year-old Eitan Birtan is at the centre of a bitter custody battle between his maternal grandparents in Israel and his paternal relatives in Italy

Six-year-old Eitan Biran was the sole survivor of a cable car crash this year in northern Italy.

He is now at the centre of a bitter custody battle between his maternal grandparents in Israel and his paternal relatives in Italy, who claim the child was flown without their permission to Israel over the weekend.

Fourteen people, including Eitan's parents and younger sibling, died when the cable car slammed into a mountainside on May 23 after the cable broke.

READ MORE: Italian cable car plunges to the ground, killing at least 14

Rescuers worked by the wreckage of a cable car after it collapsed near the summit of the Stresa-Mottarone line in the Piedmont region, northern Italy.

Following the young boy being released from a Turin hospital following weeks of treatment for critical injuries, Italian juvenile court officials ruled that the child could live with a paternal aunt near Pavia, in northern Italy.

However, the aunt, Aya Biran, told reporters that the previous day, Eitan’s maternal grandfather took the boy on an agreed upon day visit, then flew him without permission to Israel.

She said the boy has been undergoing both physical therapy and psychotherapy since his hospital release and was due to have follow-up medical visits this week, including one in Turin.

“His bed is empty, his toys and clothes were left behind. His new desk, school backpack, notebooks, pencil case and books were ready” for his first day of class on Monday, she said.

Eitan's maternal grandparents in Israel and his paternal relatives in Italy are fighting over custody.

READ MORE: FBI releases first 9/11 document after Biden order

The aunt contended that when the maternal grandfather had come to pick him up for an arranged visit on Saturday morning, it was agreed that the boy would be back by dinner.

READ:  'It was worse than hell': Melbourne family return home after coronavirus nightmare

However, after Eitan didn't return, the aunt filed a police report on Saturday night.

The maternal grandfather couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. But a sister of Eitan's late mother denied that the boy was snatched away from Italy.

“We did not abduct Eitan,'' said Gali Peleg.

”We will not use that word. What happened is that we brought Eitan home."

Ms Peleg wouldn't say exactly where the boy was, only that he had arrived on Saturday.

“We are caring for his emotional state and health."

After being released from hospital, Italian juvenile court officials ruled that the child could live with a paternal aunt near Pavia, in northern Italy.

READ MORE: Sydney hotspot mayor says eastern beaches show 'double standard

In Italy, Aya Biran told reporters the boy has Italian citizenship and had been living with his parents since he was a toddler in Italy before the accident.

It wasn’t immediately possible to confirm if the child also had Israeli citizenship but he reportedly had an Israeli passport.

The Italian foreign ministry wasn't immediately commenting on the case.

The aunt in Israel told the radio station that the boy “screamed from excitement when he saw us. He said, ‘I’m finally in Israel.''

The aunt added that “everything we did was only for the good of the boy.”

“I am certain and full of hope” that Israeli and Italian authorities will work together “to ensure his return home” to Italy, said Aya Biran.

The Corriere della Sera newspaper quoted a paternal uncle, Or Nirko, as saying Saturday that the Pelegs had the boy’s Israeli passport and had failed to give it to the paternal relatives despite an Italian court order that they do so by August 30.

READ:  New York Times publishes names of 1,000 lost to COVID-19

Mr Nirko was quoted as saying that the boy's maternal grandparents had contended that if he stayed in Italy, "Eitan would have grown up without ties to his (Israeli) identity.’’

According to the paternal relatives, the maternal family had challenged in Italian courts the custody arrangement that let Eitan live with Ms Biran, who is a doctor with her own children.

Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/world/custody-fight-over-six-year-old-child-who-survived-italy-cable-crash/b172229d-b4f3-4c5a-8e40-1ff9f8f44f4b

Shares
Share This
Finance Advice 2021