Warning for restaurant diners as a Queensland man tests positive for deadly virus and evacuation plans are drawn up by the federal government.
A man in Queensland has tested positive for coronavirus, the first case for the state and the seventh in Australia, as federal authorities continue to work on a plan to evacuate some of the 600 nationals trapped in Wuhan.
The Chinese national, 44, is currently isolated in the Gold Coast University Hospital, Queensland's chief health officer Jeannette Young confirmed last night.
"The man, who is from the city of Wuhan (Hubei Province) is stable," Dr Young said.
Patient visited restaurant while infected
Earlier, a Victorian man became the second confirmed case of coronavirus for that state.
He was isolated and recovering at home, having tested positive following a respiratory illness, the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services said.
The Victorian man was seen by doctors at the Monash Medical Centre before being sent home.
He had travelled to Wuhan City, Hubei Province in China and became unwell more than two days after returning.
The DHHS said there was "no current evidence" that passengers or crew on the returning flight to Melbourne were at risk.
Five people who live with the man are being monitored by authorities, with two children in the household being excluded from school.
Fears have also emerged for diners at a Glen Waverley restaurant after the man dined at The House of Delight restaurant at Level 1, 52 Montclair Avenue, between 5.30-7pm on Sunday.
"We are urging anyone who was at this restaurant during this time to be aware of symptoms and to contact the Department," the statement read.
But he also sent a message of caution.
"That restaurant is OK to go to now, people don't need to avoid the area or indeed anywhere else," he said.
Football team quarantined in hotel
Next week's round of Olympic women's football qualifiers in Sydney has been thrown into disarray, with the visiting Chinese team placed under quarantine due to concerns over the deadly coronavirus.
The Chinese women arrived in Brisbane with a clean bill of health yesterday but must now remain confined to their hotel until February 5 following advice from Australia's chief medical officer, Professor Brendan Murphy, that the virus is contagious before people show symptoms.
They had been scheduled to play the first match of the series against Thailand at Campbelltown on Monday afternoon with Australia taking on Taiwan at the venue on Monday evening.
Ticket sales for the games have been placed on hold, with the FFA issuing a statement yesterday evening to say they were working with authorities to determine the ramifications of the latest coronavirus scare.
China arrived earlier in the day without two of their key players due to the virus outbreak in China.
Experienced midfielder Wang Shuang and 22-year-old Yao Wei were among a group of at least four players who had been in Wuhan for Chinese New Year before the city was placed in lockdown by health officials.
None of the Chinese squad had shown any related symptoms of the virus.
Warning for travellers
A warning was has been issued for everyone who has been to Hubei.
Anyone who has returned to Australia from the ground-zero for the deadly coronavirus must isolate themselves for 14 days.
Very recent cases of the disease have been detected in patients with no or minimal symptoms, and health authorities believe one patient passed on the disease two days before symptoms appeared.
These developments mean that anyone who has travelled to the Hubei province, not just Wuhan, must spend a fortnight in self-isolation, even if they have not been in contact with someone with the virus.
The 14 days is taken from the day they landed in Australia.
"Contacts of any confirmed coronavirus cases now must be isolated in their home following exposure," Australia's Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy said this afternoon.
"Returned travellers who have been in the Hubei province of China must also be isolated in their home for 14 days after leaving Hubei province other than of course seeking medical care.
"At this time, the aim of the policy is containment of novel coronavirus and the prevention of person-to-person transmission within Australia," he added.
"Further details of the extent of pre-symptomatic transmission is being closely monitored by the international community and may result to changes in policy at a future time."
In light of these developments, education ministers around the country have been advised that advice has changed, and policy about students going back to school may be adjusted.
Sixteen cases being tested in NSW
A two-year-old child is being tested for the deadly coronavirus in NSW as Australia takes a "precautionary" approach to stopping the spread of the disease.
Health authorities in NSW are "ramping up" testing, and 16 patients are currently being monitored to see if they have the virus. There are still four confirmed cases in the state, a total of five in Australia.
"Our test definition has broadened to a focus on the Hubei province, not just Wuhan, and obviously any impacts of confirms cases," NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said today.
"We are also increasingly recognising that the disease profile can be quite varied so obviously you have seen symptoms of the more severe disease coming out of China. As I have indicated our cases have been less severe and, in fact, two of our patients have improved significantly.
"Therefore, we want to get out the message that people with very low levels of symptoms need also to come forward.
"So even if you have that bit of runny nose, you are feeling just unwell, please come forward because we want to, one, both detect those cases but also it will help us in our understanding," Dr Chant said.
She added that those most at risk are those in close contact with an infected patient.
Christmas Island used as quarantine centre
Earlier, the Prime Minister announced Australians stranded in Wuhan, the ground-zero city of the deadly disease coronavirus, will be evacuated from the city.
They will be transported to Christmas Island where they will be quarantined, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced today.
They will stay there for up to 14 days, Mr Morrison added, to ensure they do not have the disease.
"We are dealing with a number of Australians who have been there and we have to go through the process of identifying those who are most vulnerable and who are most isolated," he said.
"My first priority right now is the safety of Australians...to ensure that we are doing everything consistent with the advice and acting with an abundance of caution to protect their wellbeing, but also for those Australians who have found themselves isolated and vulnerable as a result of this crisis."
There are about 600 Australians in Wuhan that the Department of Foreign Affairs knows about.
Evacuation priority will go to the most vulnerable and isolated - those without a support structure in Wuhan, those with young children and the elderly.
They will be kept in the Chrismas Island detention centre, during the quarantine.
Currently the only people in the detention centre are the family from Biloela, Queensland, whose deportation sparked nationwide protests.
But the prime minister stressed that locals on Christmas Island will not be exposed to those quarantined.
New Zealanders in Wuhan may also be evacuated to Christmas Island.
Qantas has offered its assistance in evacuating Australians from Wuhan.
Consular officials are now on their way from Shanghai to Wuhan to provide support for Australians stranded there.
Last night the Department of Foreign Affairs updated its travel advisory to urge everybody to reconsider all travel to China.
One million masks
The federal government will release one million face masks to stop the spread of coronavirus.
The masks will be distributed through local GP surgeries.
"The masks are for patients with the relevant travel history and symptoms and their doctors who are assessing them," chief medical officer Brendan Murphy said.
"We're not recommending the general Australian public wear masks or take protection.
"There is no evidence of human-to-human transition in Australia."
Source: 9News https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-outbreak-australians-to-be-airlifted-from-wuhan/21b5ae60-a35b-4d26-a902-dc27f8c7bec3